Home Learning Top Tips
- Ensure that you follow best practice for online safety - know what your child is accessing and who they are communicating with. (For more guidance see our online safety section)
- Establish a routine for Monday to Friday, that includes the usual refreshment breaks and a good balance of physical activity and sitting down to work.
- Allow your child some say in the order that work is completed, but once decided, it must be stuck to - don't allow negotiation throughout the day.
- If there is one subject that your child finds harder than another, do that one first, while they are fresh, and get it out of the way.
- Do everything you can to remain positive and praise effort more than achievement.
- Some children may need the timetable visually - it can help to tick things off when they are done.
- Work towards a reward (TV time, game time etc) that can be reduced if time is wasted or there is not enough effort being put in.
- If possible have an allocated area for working away from distractions.
- Do not have TV or radio on during work time - music (preferably without words) is OK, but talk and lyrics can be very distracting.
- Ensure that you are all getting quality sleep - no screens before bedtime.
- Keep a water bottle to hand so that your child can stay hydrated without lots of 'I need a drink' distraction.